Thursday, May 26, 2011

No home comforts is major challenge: Waqar

No home comforts is major challenge: WaqarPakistan coach Waqar Younis says the lack of home internationals is a major hurdle to his young team's hopes of climbing up the international cricket rankings. Pakistan's second-test victory over West Indies on Tuesday secured a drawn series and ensured it stayed in sixth position, one spot ahead of the Caribbean men.

In the past year, Waqar's charges have played "home" test series against Australia in England and against South Africa in the United Arab Emirates while also facing away series against England, New Zealand and West Indies.

As no test sides have wanted to tour Pakistan since terrorists attacked the Sri Lanka team in Lahore more than two years ago, the team hasn't had a choice but to hit the road. "It's tough. It's never easy. We're always touring and playing on different surfaces and we don't know the pitches and conditions," he said on Wednesday.

"It's very difficult to adjust every month or so. It's four (overseas) venues I've done in less than a year. You need to play home to get the confidence of the youngsters. That's not happening so what we're trying to do is taking the youngsters on the tour and trying to prepare them, which is the hardest part in cricket."

Waqar admitted it was difficult to predict a swift return for international tours to his country but was hopeful. "It's not safe, we all know that. There is nothing hidden about it," he said. "We're really sad about it. "I, personally, wanted cricket to go back to the country and it was getting there, things were starting to move in that direction.

"But then something or the other happens in a month or two months time so the whole thing goes back to square one. Let's hope for the best and hopefully, in six months or a year's time, things will settle and we can take cricket back to our country."

Waqar said he was pleased with the way his team bounced back after losing the opening test in Guyana and spoke highly of his inexperienced batting unit. "There has been talk in Pakistan that we are not really batting well, we're not really scoring runs. It's good to see guys getting hundreds," the former fast bowler said.

"We haven't had many hundreds in the past couple of years, and it's good to see Taufeeq (Umar) in good nick and Misbah (ul-Haq) getting runs. "That's a plus. The boys have started knowing how to score runs and on difficult pitches."Taufeeq top scored with 135 and captain Misbah struck an unbeaten 102 in the second innings to anchor Pakistan's charge to victory in St. Kitts.

Pakistan's only individual century in 11 previous tests in the last year had been veteran Younis Khan's 131 not out in Dubai last November. Younis missed the tour of West Indies due to a death in the family but returns to the team for two one-day internationals against Ireland in Belfast on Saturday and Monday.

Waqar was happy to welcome back the veteran but was more reserved on the status of Mohammad Yousuf, the 36-year-old veteran of 90 tests who boasts an average of 52.29. "Mohammad Yousuf is on the wrong side of the 30s so we have to think hard," he said. "He is a fine player, no doubt he's served the country for a long time. If he's 100 percent and fit, why not?"

Yousuf was playing county cricket in England for Warwickshire and has not appeared in international cricket since last November. Waqar also squashed rumors about a rift between him and Shahid Afridi, who was replaced as one-day captain for the Ireland series and has since withdrawn from the squad.

"Misbah is great character. I am not saying that Afridi is not because he's done a really wonderful job in the last six to eight months he's been captain," Waqar said. "I don't have any problem with anyone. It is sad how things are being written and all the issues being printed. We want to improve cricket and this is what we get. It is not fair, I guess."

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pakistan Cricket: No captaincy assurance for Afridi: PCB

Pakistan Cricket: No captaincy assurance for Afridi: PCBChairman Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Ijaz Butt, brushed aside all the media speculations about his talks with Shahid Afridi saying he has not given any assurance to the all-rounder for keep leading Pakistan in the One Day Internationals.

Some media groups had earlier reported that Shahid Afridi had talked to Ijaz Butt and during the conversation he made himself available to the Ireland tour. They also claimed that the PCB chief had given Afridi captaincy assurance. However, later in the day, Ijaz Butt told local television channel that Afridi has not been given any assurance of captaincy in the two One Day Internationals series against Ireland.

The Sports Encounter had reported on Tuesday that either Misbah-ul-Haq, the Test captain, or all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez are likely to replace Boom Boom Afridi as ODI captain in Ireland. Ijaz Butt’s remarks have cast doubts over future of Shahid Afridi as captain of the Pakistan Cricket Team as it clearly shows a state of anger in the top cricket board authorities after Afridi had told media about his differences with head coach Waqar Younis. Following his remarks in the media, which wasn’t the first instance, the PCB had slapped Afridi with a notice demanding reasons for his media outburst.

Ijaz Butt made it clear that since disciplinary issues is pending against Shahid Afridi, a decision on captain is yet to be taken. Sources told The Sports Encounter that a final decision is expected after a tour report by team manager Intikhab Alam. The PCB Chief held a meeting with Chief Selector Mohsin Hasan Khan on Wednesday during which they discussed the team combination for the upcoming series against Ireland.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Warne apologises for IPL bust-up: report

Warne apologises for IPL bust-up: reportAustralian legspin legend Shane Warne has reportedly apologised for his part in a bust-up with a cricket official after a recent Indian Premier League match. Warne, captain of the Rajasthan Royals IPL team, was involved in an angry exchange with Sanjay Dixit, secretary of the Rajasthan state cricket association, following his team's defeat at home to Bangalore on Wednesday. The prolific wicket-taking spinner was apparently upset over the playing surface that was selected for Rajasthan's last two matches against Chennai and Bangalore, both of which the home side lost.

Dixit claimed Warne had been putting pressure on him to provide a "suitable" wicket for Rajasthan's home matches. Rajasthan Royals chief executive Sean Morris said in an e-mail to Dixit that the franchise had decided to take disciplinary action against Warne and the Australian had accepted it, news agency reported.

"The player has accepted the action that we have taken and apologised for any distress caused," Morris said, without elaborating further. The incident took place in full public view minutes after the post-match prize distribution ceremony at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur.

After the defeat against Chennai on Monday, Warne had questioned why the home side was asked to play on a different wicket to the one used in previous games. The two back-to-back defeats against Chennai and Bangalore have dented Rajasthan's chance of advancing to the play-offs and shattered Warne's dream of a second IPL title.Warne, who had scripted an amazing Rajasthan triumph in the inaugural Twenty20 competition in 2008, is set to retire from all forms of the game after the current edition.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kamran denies Zulqarnains allegations

Wicket keeper of National Cricket Team Kamran Akmal denied the statement of Zulqarnain Haider about involvement of his father-in-law in gambling. Kamran said that statement of Zulqarnain is wrong and he has to provide the evidences otherwise; he would have to face court of law.

He said that any member from his family even could not think about this cheap activity. Talking to a private TV channel Kamran said that he requests the government to investigate the matter and should punish the responsible.

He said that statement of Zulqarnain is a big allegation, adding that after consultation with his adviser Saood Cheema he would think for his next strategy. Kamran said that he never had a quarrel with Zulqarnain in domestic and international cricket, adding that he do not know that why Zulqzrnain making these allegations.

He said that before the World Cup PCB conducted an inquiry and board allowed him to play cricket after clearing him from the charges of gambling

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cricket-Back to school for Pakistan players, coaches in corruption fight

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has launched a program to educate cricketers and officials on how to avoid corruption and be on their best behaviour in the sport. "We have held lectures for all the regional teams including coaches who are part of the domestic structure and also for the national under-19 and A team players and support staff," former test captain Wasim Bari, who heads the program, told Reuters.

Participants are given lectures on the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption code and the PCB code of conduct. "We are also telling them how to behave in a dressing room, how to interact with strangers and outsiders. How to avoid getting lured into corrupt practices. We are preparing them for international cricket."Banned trio of Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir were not allowed to take part in the program.

"Since they have appealed against their bans the matter is technically subjudice," said Bari. "So we can't involve them in any program at the moment."

The trio are serving minimum five-year bans from the ICC's anti-corruption tribunal for their role in a spot-fixing scandal during last year's tour to England.

The controversy sparked a major debate in Pakistan on whether the PCB was doing enough to educate the players on anti-corruption and code of conduct measures. The PCB official said the lectures were delivered in the national Urdu language and players and officials were encouraged to take part in question and answer sessions.

"We have also distributed a manual based on the ICC anti-corruption code and our own code of conduct in Urdu in all the regions," he added. The PCB also plans to hire foreign experts in future to give lectures.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Talks to restore Pak-India cricket after IPL: PCB

Chief Operating Officer PCB Subhan Ahmed has said that the board is in contact with Indian cricket board and that official dialogue to restore Pak-India cricket series would resume after IPL.

Talking to media here, he said if both the teams bring minor changes to their schedule Pak-India series would be possible this year. To a question, chief operating officer said Zulqarnain Haider has yet to response PCB’s letter. He further said that PCB is in contact with ICC task team and soon there would be good news about restoration of international cricket in Pakistan.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Indo-Pak cricket? BCCI’s response is tepid

If the World Cup semi-final was any indication, cricket fans on both sides of the border are eager to see arch-rivals India and Pakistan play each other again. But while there are reports of a possible resumption of bilateral cricket ties, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is playing it straight, saying there is no window to squeeze in the proposed three-ODI series.

The BCCI officials expressed ignorance of such a proposal. “We have not received any instruction from the government,” vice-president Rajiv Shukla told DNA. “I don’t know. You people seem to know more than I do,” said BCCI secretary N Srinivasan.

Top board officials had a long teleconference on Thursday, but refused to comment. The BCCI is believed to have convened a meeting of the working committee on April 27 where a formal decision may be taken. But officials say the Indian team’s schedule is too tight to make time for the tour.

The IPL will be followed by a tour of the West Indies and then England. In September, there is the Champions League T20, followed by return tours by England and the West Indies between October and December. In January-February, India will undertake a tour of Australia.

As first reported, the BCCI might agree to the scheduled bilateral series next March-April. The board could also find a 10-day window in September, but security is an issue.

A BCCI official said it is not easy to conduct a series against Pakistan. “A lot of emotions are involved. We also have to see the player work load. But if the government thinks cricket is important to India-Pakistan relations, why so many government departments from the IB to ED and from Customs to Central Excise after us,” the official asked.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Past tussles forced me away: Miandad

Miandad was tipped to take up the role after getting a backing from limited-overs captain Shahid Afridi but decided against taking the position. While Miandad blamed the past for his refusal, it was learnt that the PCB’s reluctance to remove Waqar Younis as the head coach and Miandad’s role as the former fast-bowler subordinate was the reason behind his refusal.

“I’ve been offered the coaching role before and I had taken it up as well but there were certain things that happened due to which I will not coach again,” said Miandad after Pakistan’s training session in Lahore. “I was sacked on various occasions in the past. When the team was in the process of rebuilding in 2004, the board’s then-chairman Shahryar Khan sacked me.

“So it goes to show that Pakistan cricket basically is in trouble not just due to the players but also because of the management.”Past trouble

Miandad, whose batting average never dropped below 50 during the 20 years as a cricketer, has had three previous stints as coach, with the last term ending in 2004.

“In the past, the management never really cared about the future. They didn’t even think about where the sport was heading. They just didn’t want to think about it.”

The former batsman added that the team lacks quality batsmen and that the management should take steps to counter this problem.

“Today we have no quality batsmen in the squad and that’s why we’re choosing the same batsmen who keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. This practice has been adopted because we don’t have any backups in the first place.”

Call for the merit system

Miandad stressed that the players should realise their responsibility and fight for their spot in the side through performance rather than finding a way through nepotism. “The players should realise they need to make it to the squad on merit. Whoever performs remains in the team and if we follow that system, I assure you that everything will be on track.”

Too many coaches affect performance: Miandad said that he believed extensive coaching staff can only create confusion and not cause an improvement. Pakistan, in the past, have had a fielding and bowling coach apart from the head coach.

“I’ve always been against having numerous coaches as it just ends up creating a lot of confusion. Also, when you lose, the blame-game starts. Therefore, there should be a coach who is fully authorised and responsible. Also, what will a batting coach do? You have a fielding coach already and see how much that has helped.”

He insisted that a plan for the future should be made and the management should see why those players unable to deliver are being selected repeatedly. “You’re not here to learn, you’re here to deliver for the country and one must give his 200 per cent in order to reach the top level.”
 

Followers

Cricket is Life Copyright © 2009